The Davis Food Co-op seeks an experienced and innovative leader for the position of General Manager.
The Davis Food Co-op is an iconic community institution. We seek a manager with demonstrated vision and leadership ability to deliver the highest levels of customer service, who will advance our co-op to become a more vibrant and competitive business while maintaining its status as the premier natural foods store in our community. The manager will harness our potential as a cooperatively-owned business, build new collaborations with food and agricultural groups in the region, and serve as a leader in the nationwide movement toward a more socially just and environmentally sustainable food system.
Guided by the Davis Food Co-op’s mission, the General Manager is responsible for guiding the day-to-day operations of a 17,000 square foot store with $18 million in annual sales and more than 100 employees. The General Manager reports to and collaborates with a Board of Directors elected by and from the co-op’s 9,000 member households.
Essential Qualifications –
- Ability to effectively represent the Davis Food Co-op and build relationships with stakeholder groups (members, staff, national co-op community, Davis business community and the university)
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate a cohesive team, and to foster stakeholder alignment around a particular vision
- Personal and professional values consistent with cooperative principles
- Supervisory experience: hiring, training, motivating, evaluating and coaching, setting compensation, termination, overseeing supervisory employees, and other similar functions
- Financial experience: operating, capital, and cash budgeting; interpreting and analyzing financial statements, accounting ratios, etc.
- Clear communication in written and spoken form
- Retail food management experience
Desired Qualifications –
- Management experience for a business with minimum annual sales volume of $9 million
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement strategy for development and growth in a competitive market
- Experience in natural foods industry and knowledge of current trends
- Experience and familiarity with cooperative business
- Experience working with boards of directors
The Davis Food Co-op offers a competitive wage and benefits package.
Situated in the bountiful Central Valley of California, the Davis Food Co-op is deeply connected to the nation’s local and organic food movements, and sits at the heart of a major fruit, vegetable and nut producing-region. Davis, a college town of 65,000 residents, has a rich agricultural tradition. Our local farmers’ market has won numerous national awards and is consistently rated one of the top farmers’ markets in the nation, while the University of California at Davis is one of the preeminent institutions for agricultural and food science research worldwide. Located just an hour’s drive from both Napa and Sonoma counties, Davis is home to a vibrant wine (and beer) culture.
With a temperate California climate and bicycle-friendly streets and greenways, Davis it is a great place for those with an active lifestyle. It is also a safe town with excellent schools, numerous parks and playgrounds, and many activities for children; most children in town either walk or bike to school. Finally, for those with an interest in cultural pursuits, the university hosts many world-class speakers and performers at the Mondavi Center for the Arts and elsewhere on campus.
Just off I-80, Davis is approximately halfway between San Francisco and Lake Tahoe and just 10 miles from the state capital of Sacramento. Both Sacramento and San Francisco are also accessible via Amtrak commuter rail.
To apply for or inquire about the General Manager position, please send a cover letter and résumé with three professional references to GMsearch@davisfood.coop.
We will begin reviewing applications on February 17th.