General Manager, Davis Food Co-op, Davis, CA
The Davis Food Co-op, one of the largest single store consumer-owned food cooperatives in the United States, located in the vibrant college town of Davis, California, is seeking a General Manager. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the General Manager is responsible for the overall operations of a retail grocery store with $19 million in annual sales and 150 employees. The General Manager leads the staff in providing exceptional customer service and maintaining a financially thriving business in a competitive marketplace for the benefit of our 11,000 owner households and the surrounding community. More broadly, the General Manager is responsible for working toward our Ends (Mission) while charting the direction of the Co-op in concert with our Board of Directors, employees and owners.
Minimum Qualifications –
- Retail food store management experience
- Supervisory experience: hiring, training, evaluating and coaching, setting compensation, termination, supervising supervisory employees, and other similar functions
- Financial experience: operating, capital, and cash budgeting; interpreting and analyzing financial statements and accounting ratios, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate a cohesive team and foster stakeholder alignment around a particular vision
- Clear presentation of information in written and spoken form
- Personal and professional values that align with cooperative principles
Desired Qualifications –
- Bottom line accountability experience for a business with minimum annual sales volume of $9 million
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement strategy for development and growth in a competitive market
- Experience working with boards and familiarity with policy governance
- Experience in natural foods industry and knowledge of current trends
- Experience and familiarity with cooperative business
- Familiarity with open-book management
- Ability to effectively represent the Davis Food Co-op to and build relationships with stakeholder groups (e.g. members, staff, the national co-op community, the Davis business community and the university)
The Davis Food Co-op offers a competitive wage and benefits package, dependent on experience.
About the Davis Food Co-op
The Davis Food Co-op has been a community institution in Davis since 1972. In the last fiscal year, the annual sales of our 17,000 square foot store were just under $19 million, and the Co-op employed 150 staff members. A large majority of the store’s sales come from member owners, and nearly 50% of the households in the town of Davis are members. Situated in the Central Valley of California, Davis is located in the heart of the largest fruit and vegetable-producing region in the U.S. Many different types of foods are grown within a 100-mile radius, and the region has a vibrant “local foods” movement, in which the Davis Food Co-op is seen as an important leader.
About Davis, California
Davis is a highly educated town of 65,000. It is home to the University of California, Davis, a top research university with 34,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Davis has a Mediterranean climate and a wealth of parks and green space. The town is located on Interstate 80 midway between Lake Tahoe and San Francisco, within an hour of some of the country’s most noted wineries, and only minutes from Sacramento, the state’s capital and the “Farm to Fork Capital” of the United States. Davis has received state and national recognition for its public schools, two weekly farmers’ markets, and bike-friendly culture. For more information, visit the community-run Davis Wiki for more information about what the town has to offer.
To apply for or inquire about the General Manager position, please send a cover letter and résumé with three professional references to GMsearch@davisfood.coop. Candidate screening will begin May 19, 2014.