Surprise! In How To: Sausage, we're actually making VEGETARIAN sausages! In our 4th Co-op Cook's Challenge, Chef Jules describes these amazing, mouth-watering Veggie Sausages (of the gods).
What's this Co-op Cook's Challenge business?
How To Make Vegetarian Sausages Of The Gods
Based on a “Glamorgan Sausages” recipe by the BBC
Ingredients and Shopping List:
5oz/1 1/4 cups Caerphilly, or Welsh cheddar cheese (like Colliers), finely grated
2 medium leeks, trimmed, finely sliced (about 115g or 1 cup, prepared)
175g/3 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
28g/2 Tbsp. butter
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
2 eggs, separated
1 tsp pepared mustard
1/4 tsp flaked sea salt
1/4 cup oil
freshly ground black pepper
1. Clean and finely slice the white and light green part of the leeks. Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the leeks gently for 8-10minutes, or until very soft but not browned.
2. Put 100g/1 1/2 cups of the breadcrumbs, the herbs and cheese in a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Beat the egg yolks with the mustard, salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper
in a separate bowl.
3. Add the cooked leeks to the cheese mixture and stir. Add the egg yolks and mix well.
4. Divide the leek mixture into eight to twelve portions and roll into sausage links or patties.
5. Whisk the egg whites until just frothy. Put remaining breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip the sausages one at a time into the beaten egg and roll in the breadcrumbs until evenly coated, then place on a clean tray. Chill the sausages in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the sausages over a medium heat for 10-12 minutes, turning regularly until golden-brown and crisp. Drain on a rack or paper. Serve at once.
7. Share your results! You could win a prize. davisfood.coop/forms/photosubmission or Pinterest, Instagram, Tweet or FB us.