DEPARTMENT: Center Store REPORTS TO: Center Store Manager
JOB SUMMARY: To keep the Co-op and Teaching Kitchen buildings and grounds clean and presentable at all times. To attend to special projects/emergencies as necessary. Weekends, evenings, early mornings, overnights and some holidays required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Cleaning & servicing restrooms
- Sweep, mop & buff sales floor
- Sweep & mop warehouse, office and back of the house floors
- Vacuum offices and floor rugs
- Gather and dispose of rubbish and waste materials
- Gather and sort recycling, compost and other materials
- Polishes furniture, metal work, and chrome using appropriate cleaning and polishing compounds.
- Wash walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, mirrors, and fixtures using both step and extension ladders.
- Clean grounds and parking lots of litter, glass, or other debris.
- Load and unload supplies, and move heavy furniture and equipment using dollies, handcarts, or power equipment.
- Replaces light bulbs and fuses.
- May perform ground maintenance including sweeping sidewalks, power washing walkways and patios, mowing small areas of grass, trimming shrubs, etc.
Maintenance, Safety and Security
- Learn and use safe practices when performing job duties.
- Keep department and janitorial areas maintained in clean, orderly condition, following all guidelines.
- Maintain equipment in working order, research and recommend equipment repair and replacement options as needed.
- Report safety/security concerns promptly.
- Monitor department and nearby areas for shoplifting, follows established policy when handling problem customers or suspected shoplifters.
- Assist customers as needed.
- Orient and be helpful to new employees.
- Set a positive example for co-workers.
- Participate in periodic department meetings.
- Accept other duties as assigned by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate competencies in the following matters:
1. Problem Solving
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
2. Customer Service
- Manage difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Respond promptly to customer needs.
- Respond to requests for service and assistance.
3. Managing People
- Be available to staff.
- Provide regular performance feedback.
- Develop staff members’ skills and encourage growth.
- Solicit and apply customer feedback (internal and external).
- Continually work to improve supervisory skills.
- Adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Manage competing demands.
- Deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
5. Attendance / Punctuality
- Be consistently at work and arrive on time.
- Ensure that work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Arrive at meetings and appointments on time.
- Respond to management direction.
- Complete tasks on time or notify appropriate person with an alternate plan.
7. Work Quality
- Look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Apply feedback to improve performance.
- Monitor own work to ensure quality.
8. Work Quantity
- Meet productivity standards.
- Complete work in timely manner.
- Strive to increase productivity.
- Work quickly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Language Ability
- Comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Communicate effectively in oral or written form to staff.
- Effectively present information in one-to-one and small group situations to customers and other employees.
2. Math Ability
- Is competent in basic arithmetic, fractions, ratios, and percentages.
- Perform these operations using units of U.S. currency and units of weight, volume, and distance.
3. Reasoning Ability
- Apply common-sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
4. Computer Skills
- Is proficient with word processing software.
- Is proficient with spreadsheet software.
- Is proficient with email, payroll, financial, and internet ordering software.
5. Operational Equipment Skills
- Possess a valid California driver's license and clean DMV record
- Is able to operate a manual pallet jack
- Has knowledge of appropriate cleaning methods and materials
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Daily Physical Demands
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Walk, climb, or balance and stoop.
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Talk and hear.
- 2. Frequent Physical Demands
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- 3. Specific Vision Ability
- Have close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environments described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasional Exposure to:
- Wet or humid conditions (non-weather).
- Fumes or airborne particles.
- Outdoor weather conditions.
- Extreme cold (non-weather).
- The noise level in the environment is usually moderate.