Pay Range: $14.00-$21.00
DEPARTMENT: Cheese/Olives REPORTS TO: Chill Coordinator
SUPERVISES: Cheese Department
JOB SUMMARY: To effectively and efficiently manage all aspects of the Cheese department including customer service, department conditions, profitability, staff supervision, productivity and workplace conditions. To advance Davis Food Co-op’s End Statements through product selection, relationships, and communication, and to develop and position the Co-op for Ends Statement alignment in the present and for future growth and development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES .
Department Operations and Customer Service
- Researches and develops product line which provides variety, consistency and Ends Statement alignment.
- Develops relationships with suppliers, negotiates for favorable prices, terms, quality and delivery.
- Sets sales and ensures department consistently meets goals set by the Center Store Manager/Operations Manager.
- Develops and communicates department procedures for ordering, receiving, stocking and merchandising product.
- Conducts periodic inventory counts.
- Ensures competitive pricing, conducts pricing, product and merchandising comparisons.
- Plan & build effective promotions including on-shelf, off-the-shelf displays and product demos
- Ensure proper product mix through category management.
- Performs daily ordering.
- Follows up on product outages, returns, and mispicks
- Inputs new items into catapult and slots them according to DFC merchandising guidelines
- Oversees invoices and cost updates
- Orient and trains new employees
- Administers daily cleaning routines and assigns deep cleaning projects on a weekly basis
- Exceed our customers expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all people and all diverse backgrounds and in accordance with the Co-op’s customer service standards
- Model, provide and ensure customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous services and in a professional manner that markets our cooperative advantage
- Maintain a calm and friendly demeanor with all customers and all situations
- Upholds and monitors for compliance of best practices for food handling and safety
- Reports customer suggestions, comments or complaints to the appropriate department or positions as necessary
- Develops and maintains beautiful, clean and full displays of Cheese merchandise and ensures proper signage
- Monitor and oversee the accurate costing and pricing of all cheese and ensures product is properly handled
- Inspects equipment and tools to ensure proper working order and addresses as needed. Develops employees on how to clean and maintain cheese equipment.
- Works with supervisor on department schedules and recommends changes as needed. Reallocates labor as needed to meet the needs of operations.
- Report any situations of concern to the Center Store Manager/Operations Manager
- Monitor and ensure that personnel keep work areas neat, clean and orderly
- Attends applicable onsite or offsite trainings
- Under the direction of the Center Store Manager/Operations Manager, ensures the Cheese department operates effectively and efficiently, facilitates day-to-day operations and guarantees performance standards are met and that employees consistently work towards their ideal and peak performance.
- Supervises work performance and conduct of Cheese Department personnel, ensuring compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Models supportive and participatory leadership qualities, promotes team building and motivates staff to achieve goals.
- Ensures department personnel receive appropriate orientation, training and feedback to perform their jobs.
- Takes disciplinary action as needed in accordance with Co-op policies, labor and legal guidelines.
- Establish clear expectations for direct reports and support to ensure expectations are exceeded
- Delegate and assign tasks for department personnel and ensure tasks are completed
- Model behaviors that support the values of the Co-op, through supportive and participatory leadership, promoting cooperation team building and motivating employees to achieve goals
- Monitor and help ensure that Cheese staff are properly attired, including apron/vest, chefs coat and nametag, and are mentally and physically prepared for work duty upon arrival
- Help create and facilitate trainings for employees that enhance and build upon their skills, knowledge and abilities. Ensure new hires are trained appropriately and effectively
- Contributes to regular performance evaluations and provides coaching as needed
- Coordinate and authorize breaks in accordance with Co-op policy
- Order and maintain adequate supplies for the department
- Supports Davis Food Co-op’s marketing and outreach initiatives and contributes to marketing, outreach and events as requested
- Model communications with staff that are timely, clear, direct and respectful
- Model leadership behaviors to motivate staff and encourage teamwork
- Treat staff equitably, fairly, consistently and with respect
Maintenance, Safety and Security
- Ensures that all Cheese employees learn and use safe practices when performing job duties.
- Ensures department and back-stock areas are maintained in clean, orderly condition, following all guidelines.
- Maintain equipment in working order, research and recommend equipment repair and replacement options as needed.
- Address safety/security concerns promptly.
- Monitor department and nearby areas for shoplifting, follows established policy when handling problem customers or suspected shoplifters.
- Provides back-up to other staff as needed.
- Compiles or contributes to reports as requested.
- Knows and meets all “core responsibilities” as outlined by the Co-op including customer service standards, communication, mission integration, personal effectiveness and technical skills.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate competencies in the following matters:
1. Problem Solving
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Manage difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Respond promptly to customer needs.
- Solicit customer feedback to improve service.
- Respond to requests for service and assistance.
- Be available to staff.
- Provide regular performance feedback.
- Develop staff members’ skills and encourage growth.
- Solicit and apply customer feedback (internal and external).
- Continually work to improve supervisory skills.
- Adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Manage competing demands.
- Deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Be consistently at work and arrive on time.
- Ensure that work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Arrive at meetings and appointments on time.
- Respond to management direction.
- Commit to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Complete tasks on time or notify appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Apply feedback to improve performance.
- Monitor own work to ensure quality.
- Meet productivity standards.
- Complete work in timely manner.
- Strive to increase productivity.
- Work quickly.
2. Customer Service
3. Managing People
5. Attendance / Punctuality
7. Work Quality
8. Work Quantity
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Language Ability
- Comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Communicate effectively in oral or written form to staff.
- Effectively present information in one-to-one and small group situations to customers and other employees.
2. Math Ability
- Is competent in basic arithmetic, fractions, ratios, and percentages.
- Perform these operations using units of U.S. currency and units of weight, volume, and distance.
3. Reasoning Ability
- Apply common-sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
4. Computer Skills
- Is proficient with word processing software.
- Is proficient with spreadsheet software.
- Is proficient with email, payroll, financial, and internet ordering software.
5. Operational Equipment Skills
- Possess a valid California driver's license.
- Is able to operate a manual pallet jack
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. 1. Daily Physical Demands Stand.
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Walk, climb, or balance and stoop.
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Talk and hear.
- 2. Frequent Physical Demands
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- 3. Specific Vision Ability
- Have close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environments described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 1. Occasional Exposure to:
- Wet or humid conditions (non-weather).
- Fumes or airborne particles.
- Outdoor weather conditions.
- Extreme cold (non-weather).
- 2. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate.