SPRING ELECTIONS 2018
Our 2018 Spring Election concluded on May 31. On June 11, the Board of Directors voted unanimously to accept the results as certified by our contractor, Simply Voting. These results may be summarized as follows:
1) Faye Dixon was re-elected to the Board with 755 votes.
2) Theresa Robinson was elected to the Board with 635 votes.
3) The Minutes of the 2017 Annual Meeting were approved by the Membership.
Thanks to all the Co-op owners who voted! It was a good turnout for a “quiet” year (no major ballot measures, and only two seats up for election) but we look forward to even better participation next year. Plan now to vote in May 2019 – or if you’re really interested in helping guide our Co-op on behalf of all owners, consider running for the Board in 2019! Here’s where you can learn more here.
Election Procedures for 2018
Nominations & Candidacy:
1) The Nominations Task Force will develop a Candidate’s Packet containing the following:
a) A description of qualifications for service on the Board of Directors,
b) A description of the duties and responsibilities of a Board member, including an estimate of the time commitment required,
c) A description of campaign expectations and Policies, and
d) A “Statement of Candidacy” form.
2) Any Member in Good Standing (as defined in Bylaw IV) may nominate her/himself by completing the Statement of Candidacy form and submitting it to the Co-op by the close of business on March 23, 2018.
3) Each Declared Candidate is expected (but not required) to submit a statement outlining his/her qualifications for Board service by March 23, 2018. The Statement is limited to 250 words and should be accompanied by a recent photo. Statements received by March 23, 2018 will be made available to voters in print and on the Co-op Website.
4) Each Declared Candidate is expected (but not required) to deliver a Campaign Speech at the Annual Meeting, with a time limit to be determined by Staff in charge of the meeting.
The text of any Initiative Petition presented to the Board for a vote in the election must be received by the start of the April 9, 2018 Board Meeting.
1) Election & Voting information will be distributed to all eligible voters under the supervision of the Marketing Manager and will include the following:
a) The name (and photo and Candidate’s Statement, if provided) of each Declared Candidate who meets the qualifications for Board service.
b) The text of any Initiative Petition meeting the requirements above.
c) An analysis of each Initiative Proposition, if any, approved by the Board.
d) Arguments for and against each Ballot Proposition, if any, 250 words or less submitted by April 16, with a limit of one “For” and one “Against” each proposition.
e) Instructions for voting by all methods available.
2) All above material shall also be available on the Co-op’s website for the duration of the Election.
1) Simply Voting, Inc. will conduct a “hybrid” election, i.e. one permitting both paper and electronic ballots, for the Davis Food Co-op.
2) Simply Voting will receive electronic votes from members, providing security and preventing fraudulent or duplicate voting using current best industry practices.
3) Simply Voting will receive all paper ballots, and will count all ballots postmarked by May 31 and received by June 5, subject to reasonable verification and security procedures.
4) Simply Voting will provide the Board with certified results of the Election by June 8, and will return all paper ballots and other records to the Board by June 30, 2018.
5) Results of the Election will become final upon acceptance by the Board of Directors at a duly called meeting of the Board.
Election Calendar for 2018
2/12: Board approves Election procedures, including Election Calendar
2/16: Post Election Calendar & Annual Meeting date
3/23: Deadline for Owners to declare candidacy for the Board of Directors
5/14: Annual Meeting, opportunities to hear candidate speeches, online voting begins
5/14: Election Mailer mailed to Owners in good standing
5/31: Voting closes when our store closes
6/8: Receive certified election results from Simply Voting
6/11: Board accepts election results at last 2017-18 Board meeting
7/16: New Directors seated at first 2018-19 Board meeting