J. Faye Dixon
Oliver Resnick Weiss
The Board of Directors are DFC Owners, elected by fellow Owners, who volunteer their time to act on the community’s behalf to ensure a vibrant cooperative vision for the store. The Board develops and maintains policies to provide overall direction and ensure the long-range security and viability of the Co-op developing policies necessary to carry out the duties of the Board and the functions of the Co-op.
More specifically, the Board does this above through the following:
- Creating and sustaining a relationship with the Member-Ownership.
- Hiring and overseeing the work of the General Manager
- Planning yearly goals for the organization
- Creating committees to accomplish
- Ongoing education, training and recruitment for the Board
- The Board of Directors does not make decisions about, become involved with, or take part in any of the day-to-day activities or decisions regarding the operation of the Davis Food Co-op. The Board’s sole connection to the operations of the store is through the General Manager.
The Board of Directors meet on the third Monday of each month at 6:30 PM in the DFC Teaching Kitchen, located across the street from the store at 537 G Street. The meeting is open to all active Owners of the Davis Food Co-op. Meetings are currently held in a hybrid format, with the option to attend virtually via Zoom* in addition to in person at the Teaching Kitchen. Owners are encouraged to attend and have their voices heard during the meeting’s opening comment period.
If an Owner is unable to attend the meeting, but would still like to have their voice heard on a matter concerning the Board, they may reach out to the Board directly by emailing [email protected]. All other comments and suggestions regarding store operations can be made through our Suggestion Box online here or in person at our Customer Service Desk.
* The link to attend the Board meeting virtually can be found on day of the meeting on the Board Meeting Agenda here.
Committees formed by the Board do work outside of the monthly Board Meetings to tackle special projects, recurring events and to further uphold the Co-op’s commitment to our Ends. Committees also have openings for fellow Owners not on the Board to join and contribute. Interested in the Board’s work on one of the committees you see listed below? Reach out to the listed chair of the committee to see how you can join.
Strategic Planning Committee: Angelo Esquivel, [email protected]
Finance Committee: Samantha Conselman, [email protected]
Governance Committee: Gustave Cirhigiri, [email protected]
Nominating Committee: Samantha Conselman, [email protected]
Facilities Task Force: Sharon Tobar, [email protected]
Running for the Board
Director candidates must be committed to the Ends Statement of the Davis Food Co-op. Board Directors are volunteers for a term of three years and commit to working about 15 – 20 hours a month, depending on committees. Board Directors must come to the monthly meeting, every 3rd Monday of the month, and be part of at least one committee.
To thank them for their efforts and involvement, the Davis Food Co-op Directors receive 16.5% off all of their purchases at the Co-op. Our Directors have many training opportunities and can also gain a variety of useful skills, such as business acumen, management experience, high-level communication, financial literacy, strategic thinking, and teamwork.
- Be a DFC shareholder in good standing.
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in monthly Board meetings and the Annual Ownership Meeting in May.
- Serve on one or two committees or task forces.
- Attend and participate in a day-long annual retreat in the Fall and/or Spring.
- Participate in Board training, as well as workshops, conferences, and DFC events throughout the year.
- Regularly read and respond to email correspondence.
- Devote time to learning about the co-op movement and the board decision-making tool Policy Governance.