The Davis Food Co-op is a democratic business, owned and democratically governed by our Owners. The Board of Directors are Owners who are elected to represent the other Owners. The board ensures that the co-op’s Ends and operations support a vital, thriving co-op that meets the needs and vision of our Owners and our larger community.
Representing the Owners is extremely important and at times challenging. The work of the Board of Directors has an incredible impact on how the co-op grows and adapts to a changing world and marketplace. It’s important that Board members be able to work together to ask tough questions and think innovatively about the future of the co-op.
THE 2021 ELECTION Process
- We are now accepting candidates for the 2021 Elections until March 12, 2021!
- There will be a Board Candidate Orientation via Zoom on 3/4/21 6:00-7:00pm open for anyone that is interested in running to attend
- There are four positions that will need to be filled: (3) Three-year term positions
- Read more below to learn about the duties of the Board and how to declare for candidacy.
ABOUT THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The Board works on behalf of the Member-Ownership, to set the mission of the Co-op as well as monitor the operations and management of the store.
Director candidates must be committed to the Ends Statement of the Davis Food Co-op. Board Directors are volunteers for a term of three years and commit to working about 15 hours a month.
To thank them for their efforts and involvement, the Davis Food Co-op Directors receive 16.5% off all of their purchases at the Co-op. Our Directors also gain a variety of useful skills, such as business acumen, management experience, high-level communication, financial literacy, strategic thinking, and teamwork.
- Be a DFC shareholder in good standing.
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in monthly Board meetings and the Annual Ownership Meeting in May.
- Serve on one or two committees or task forces.
- Attend and participate in a day-long annual retreat in the Fall and/or Spring.
- Participate in Board training, as well as workshops, conferences, and DFC events throughout the year.
- Regularly read and respond to email correspondence.
- Devote time to learning about the co-op movement and the board decision-making tool Policy Governance.
HOW TO BECOME A CANDIDATE FOR THE DFC BOARD OF DIRECTORS
In the 2021 Elections, there are four positions that will need to be filled: (3) Three-year term positions. The 2021 Declaration of Candidacy is available until March 12, 2021. If you’d like to run to serve on the Davis Food Co-op Board of Directors, submit the Declaration of Candidacy Form here.
If you have questions, you can email the Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
See DFC Board of Directors campaigning activities guidelines here.
UNSURE ABOUT RUNNING BUT STILL WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
- Attend the Board Candidate Orientation via Zoom on 3/4/21 6:00-7:00pm
- Attend one or more board meetings
- Meet with the Board Development Committee
- Meet with a current or former Director
- Apply to serve on a Board committee
DFC BOARD COMMITTEES
Interested in the board’s work? Join a committee! The following committees are open for all Owners to join.
Board Development Committee: Provides training for Directors. Contact the committee lead, email@example.com
Elections Committee: Oversees the annual election. Contact the committee lead, firstname.lastname@example.org
Governance Committee: Reviews board policies and procedures. Contact the committee lead, email@example.com
Strategic Plan Committee: Works with the general manager to develop and monitor the strategic plan for DFC. Contact the committee lead, firstname.lastname@example.org
Owner Engagement Committee: Provides opportunities for directors to interact with owners and customers. Contact the committee lead, email@example.com
2021 ELECTION CALENDAR
Elections calendar posted on the store Governance Board and on the DFC website
Deadline for receipt of Owner Initiatives for the election (120 days before the election, in accordance with DFC Board Policy C10)
Orientation for potential candidates
Deadline for Owners to declare their candidacy for the Board of Directors
3/22 – 5/6/21
Declared candidates can arrange to use the Free Speech Area near the Tomato sculpture to share information about their candidacy with Owners
Annual Meeting and start of voting
5/6 – 5/20/21
Voting online and in the store
Board votes to accept the election results at final 2020-21 Board meeting
New Directors seated at first 2021-22 Board meeting
SPRING ELECTION 2020*
On June 8, 2020, the board of directors voted to accept the results of the election:
A total of 505 (5%) of our 10,096 eligible owners voted in the 2020 Spring Election. The electorate approved the 2019 Annual Meeting Minutes by a vote of 424 (97.9 %) vs. 9 (2.1%), and welcomed the following owners as directors:
- Madison Suoja (2020-2023 term), with 446 votes (37.1%)
- Sharon Tobar (2020-2023 term), with 435 votes (36.2%)
- Lorin Kalisky (2020-2023 term), with 321 votes (26.7%)
*In this election, there were three open seats on the board for three-year terms.
Thank you to all co-op owners who voted!