DEPARTMENT: Produce REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
To effectively and efficiently manage all aspects of the Produce department staff including customer service, department conditions, profitability, staff supervision, productivity and workplace conditions. Maintain strong Produce operations including accurate and efficient receiving, preparation, merchandising of product and consistently phenomenal customer service. This position acts as Manager on Duty (MOD) as to needed and upholds management best practices, develops and mentors department personnel, adheres to labor guidelines and ensures others maintain compliance with policy and procedures by establishing clear expectations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Provide internal and external customers with excellent service at all times
- Treat people fairly, consistently and with respect.
- Ensure efficient, informative, and friendly service in all areas according to established customer service vision and standards
- Use appropriate language, behavior, appearance, and overall conduct with or in the presence of customers, vendors, and store personnel according to DFC and store policies.
- Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
- Offers samples to shoppers, kid snacks to children, and suggests add-on items.
- Ensures the Produce department operates effectively and efficiently, facilitates day-to-day operation and guarantees performance standards are met and that employees consistently work towards their ideal and peak performance.
- Exceed our customer’s expectations for service and provide a welcoming environment for all people and all divers backgrounds and in accordance with the Co-op’s customer service standards.
- Model, provide and ensure customers receive prompt, friendly and courteous services, an in a professional manner that markets our cooperative advantage.
- Maintain a calm and friendly demeanor with all customers and in all situations.
- Reports customer suggestions, comments or complaints to the appropriate departments or positions as necessary.
- Maintains vendor relations in a manner that upholds the Co-ops values and ensures products reordered per department procedure and in a manner that meets customer needs and differentiates us in the marketplace
- Ensure product is received, stored, priced and merchandised according to department procedures and addresses variances from these standards as needed.
- Inspect equipment and tools to ensure proper working order and addresses as needed
- Inputs weekly department schedules. Reallocates labor as needed to meet the needs of operations.
- Report any situations of concern to the Operations Manager and/or appropriate management personnel.
- Monitor and ensure that personnel keep work areas neat, clean and orderly.
- Attends applicable onsite or offsite trainings and meetings.
- Write and input weekly schedules per labor budget and store guidelines for the Produce department.
- Creates, develops, communicates, implements, audits and evaluates operating standards and procedures and makes adjustments as needed.
- Knows and adheres to all aspects of the Employee Handbook, current policies and procedures and safety program.
- Establish clear expectations for direct reports and support to ensure expectations are exceeded.
- Delegate and assign tasks for department personnel as needed and ensure tasks are completed.
- Provide adequate and timely communication with the Operations Manager in regards to problems/concerns, opportunities, recognition and other matters of importance.
- Supervise work performance and conduct of personnel and support the Co-op’s performance management practices as needed and in accordance with the Co-op policies, procedures, labor and legal guidelines.
- Model behaviors that support the values of the Co-op, through supportive and participatory leadership, promoting cooperation, team building and motivating employees to achieve goals.
- Immediately address and report concerns with employee behaviors or work performance to the Operations Manager and supports them in investigating and or addressing the concern appropriately.
- Ensure employee contribution to the overall departmental goals and vision for the Co-op.
- Monitor and help ensure that Produce staff are properly attired, including apron/vest and nametag and are mentally and physically prepared for work duty upon arrival.
- Create and facilitate trainings for employees that enhance and build upon their skills, knowledge and abilities. Ensure new hires are trained appropriately and effectively.
- Distributes regular performance evaluations and provides coaching as needed.
- Supports the Co-ops security and safety and protocols and establishes strong departmental control measures.
- Note absences, tardiness, shift changes and other variances or patterns according to procedure. Reallocates labor as needed to meet operating needs.
- Coordinate and authorize breaks in accordance with Co-op policy and the needs of the Produce Department.
- Order and maintain adequate supplies for the department.
- Support recruitment practices by screening and interviewing applicants.
- Supports marketing and outreach initiatives and contributes to marketing, outreach and events as requested.
- Model communications with staff that are timely, clear, direct and respectful.
- Model leadership behaviors to motivate staff and encourage teamwork.
- Treat staff equitably, fairly, consistently and with respect.
- Ensure that all staff are educated on the co-op model, the benefits or ownership and the principles of cooperative business.
- Conduct inventory counts, storewide cleaning and other projects as needed.
- Attend meetings and events as requested.
- Ensure equipment repair and maintenance is communicated to appropriate personnel and make adjustments until equipment has been improved.
- Maintain working knowledge of and able to perform all duties of direct reports.
- Demonstrate support for the cooperative values and principles daily.
- Compile information and contributes to reports as needed.
- Maintain working knowledge of Manager on Duty responsibilities and acts as MOD as needed.
- Perform other duties and work in other departments as assigned.
- Follow all safe food handling guidelines as required by local, state and federal laws.
- Maintains a current Food Handler’s Permit and updates the certification with the Co-op.
- Must work 40 hours and be available nights and weekends.
Manager on Duty (MOD)
- Ensure prompt, friendly, courteous customer service. Handle customer questions and complaints that can’t be handled by other staff.
- Oversee staff and assist them on keeping the store clean and orderly condition.
- Monitor cooler and freezer temperatures. Troubleshoot equipment breakdowns during shift as needed.
- Carry out established opening and closing procedures.
- Uphold security procedures and support staff in dealing with shoplifters, disorderly customers, and emergencies.
- Ensure break schedule is followed during shift, cover lunches and breaks with an open register.
ESSENTIAL MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND COMPETENCIES
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate competencies in the following matters:
1. Problem Solving
- Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
2. Customer Service
- Manage difficult or emotional customer situations.
- Respond promptly to customer needs.
- Respond to requests for service and assistance.
3. Managing People
- Be available to staff.
- Provide regular performance feedback.
- Develop staff members’ skills and encourage growth.
- Solicit and apply customer feedback (internal and external).
- Continually work to improve supervisory skills.
- Adapt to changes in the work environment.
- Manage competing demands.
- Deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
5. Attendance / Punctuality
- Be consistently at work and arrive on time.
- Ensure that work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Arrive at meetings and appointments on time.
- Respond to management direction.
- Complete tasks on time or notify appropriate person with an alternate plan.
7. Work Quality
- Look for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Apply feedback to improve performance.
- Monitor own work to ensure quality.
8. Work Quantity
- Meet productivity standards.
- Complete work in timely manner.
- Strive to increase productivity.
- Work quickly.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Language Ability
- Comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Communicate effectively in oral or written form to staff.
- Effectively present information in one-to-one and small group situations to customers and other employees.
2. Math Ability
- Is competent in basic arithmetic, fractions, ratios, and percentages.
- Perform these operations using units of U.S. currency and units of weight, volume, and distance.
3. Reasoning Ability
- Apply common-sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
4. Computer Skills
- Is proficient with word processing software.
- Is proficient with spreadsheet software.
- Is proficient with email, payroll, financial, and internet ordering software.
5. Operational Equipment Skills
- Possess a valid California driver's license and clean DMV record
- Is able to operate a manual pallet jack
- Has knowledge of appropriate cleaning methods and materials
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Daily Physical Demands
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Reach with hands and arms.
- Walk, climb, or balance and stoop.
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
- Talk and hear.
2. Frequent Physical Demands
- Lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
3. Specific Vision Ability
- Have close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
The work environments described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Occasional Exposure to:
- Wet or humid conditions (non-weather).
- Fumes or airborne particles.
- Outdoor weather conditions.
- Extreme cold (non-weather).
2. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.