Overnight Baked Berry Banana French Toast
Apricot and Almond Pasta Salad
Crunchy Chicken or Chickpea Salad
Mantecaditos are shortbread cookies. In the traditional Puerto Rican recipe, Guava jelly is used but many Puerto Rican cooks use other jellies, sprinkles, chocolate and even nuts to make this tasty treat.
½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
½ cup shortening or lard
½ cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract or vanilla
½ tsp salt
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
Filling: sprinkles, guava paste (find in the Cheese Department), grape jelly, or your favorite chocolate nut butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, or use an ungreased cookie pan.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening (or lard) and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in almond extract, salt and flour until well combined.
- Divide dough into small balls, about 1 ½ teaspoons each.
- Create an indent in each cookie with your thumb.
- Add filling to the indent in the cookie.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
Yield: 24 servings