Balsamic Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
1 pound of red and/or golden beets, trimmed
1 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasting optional
2 cups loosely packed arugula or spinach
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
Juice from half a lemon
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place a large sheet of foil over a rimmed baking sheet. Place the trimmed beets in the center and gather the edges of the foil to make a small packet. Pour in 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and gather the foil to form a seal. Roast beets for 45 minutes or until very tender. Cool for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the remaining vinegar to a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until it has reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the reduction to cool.
- In a small, dry pan heat walnuts over medium-high heat if toasting. Toast until fragrant and a shade darker, about 5 minutes. Do not leave toasting walnuts unattended as they can burn very easily.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them. Slice them really thin (if you have a mandolin, now would be a good time to use it). Arrange the sliced beets on a serving platter or plate.
- Toss greens with oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Arrange on top of beets and sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts. Finally, drizzle the balsamic reduction over everything. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings