Traditional Italian flavors made simple.
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stalk, finely diced
1 lb ground beef
1 1/4 cup red wine
1 cup whole milk
28 oz. whole tomatoes, with juice
4 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 bunch of basil, torn
spaghetti or pappardelle noodles
- Saute carrots, onions, garlic and celery in the olive oil.
- Stir in the ground beef and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine and seasonings.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Pour in the milk once the tomato sauce is the ideal consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in the fresh torn basil
- Boil pasta noodles until al dente and then top with fresh basil bolognese.
Recipe developed by staff member, Rheanna Smith. Rheanna has a background in nutrition and food science, and along with working in many departments here at the Davis Food Co-op she actively runs a food blog containing healthy recipes and nutrition tips. Keep an eye on our Co-op blog to see some of her recipes and give her Instagram account a follow for additional health tips and ideas, @rheannnabanana.
Yield: 4 servings