Broccoli Cheese Soup
Enjoy the benefits of nutrient dense broccoli in this full flavored soup. The addition of beer adds a layer of complexity and richness.
1 yellow onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1-12 oz. bottle dark beer
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
11/4 pounds broccoli, finely chopped
1 cup milk
1/2 pound cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter and oil in a stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until soft and translucent, then add the diced potatoes and stir in the flour.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock, beer, mustard, and thyme and bring the liquids to a simmer.
- Simmer about 10 minutes and then add the chopped broccoli.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Turn down heat and puree the soup with a stick blender on low speed (or blend in a blender in small batches). Add the milk and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until well blended.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with crusty bread and a salad for a warming weeknight meal.
Yield: 6 servings