Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies
These classic cookies are jammed with chocolate chips, crunchy walnuts and a good amount of whole wheat flour to boot.
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 package chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, mix the pastry flour, unbleached flour, baking soda and salt, reserve. Preheat the oven to 375⁰F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer with the batter paddle, or in large bowl, using a fork, cream the butter with the brown and white sugars. Beat until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, salt and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix until thoroughly combined, then stir in the flour mixture. When almost fully incorporated, add the nuts and chocolate chips and stir just until combined.
- Use heaping tablespoon-sized portions to form balls of dough, and place them on the prepared pans with two inches in between.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then switch the position of the pans between upper and lower oven racks – and bake for 6 minutes longer. Remove the pans from the oven, and allow them to cool on racks for five minutes before using a spatula to transfer the cookies to the rack. Cool completely.
- These keep for a week, tightly covered, at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
Plan ahead and bake up an extra batch or two to store in the freezer to enjoy later.
Yield: 28 servings