Corn Salad with Chile and Lime
Cinnamon Apple Stuffed Squash
2 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 cups diced yellow onion
2 celery stalks, diced
3 cups diced apple, cored and seeds removed (about 2 large apples)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1⁄3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch each of salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place acorn squash halves face down on a rimmed sheet pan or baking dish and add 1/2 inch of water to the pan.
- Bake squash for 40 minutes.
- While the squash is baking, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and celery and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the apples, cranberries, maple syrup, water and cinnamon; stir well and cook another 5 to 10 minutes until the apples begin to soften.
- Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- After the squash has baked for 40 minutes, remove from the oven, turn them cut side up, and fill each with the apple stuffing.
- Place back into the oven and bake another 15 to 20 minutes until the squash is tender.
- Serve warm.
GF V DF
Yield: 4 servings