Garden Vegetable Bake
Fresh local produce and the super grain, quinoa, star in this hearty dish.
1/2 cop quinoa, rinsed
1 cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, julienned
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
3 summer squash or zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
1 cup sweet peas, fresh or frozen
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
6 oz tomato paste
1 pound cottage cheese
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
2 cups provolone cheese, shredded
1 large tomato, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions, bell peppers, summer squash, peas, and spices until the squash is soft. Add tomato paste and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, parsley, and 1 cup of shredded provolone.
- Combine the cooked quinoa, sautéed vegetables, and cheese mixture, and press into a lightly greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining shredded provolone.
- Cover and bake for 50 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes, until cheese is browned.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes before slicing into squares.
Yield: 4 servings