Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
1 Head of Cauliflower, Chopped
1 ½ Cups Milk Alternative
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp pepper
1/8 Cup Onion, Minced
Pinch of Nutmeg
2 Cups of Mushrooms, Chopped
2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
2 Large white or yellow Onions, Thinly sliced into mandolins
1 ½ Cup Coconut Flour (All purpose flour is fine, if not GF)
1 ½ Cup Milk Alternative
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Sage
1 tsp Paprika
High Temperature Vegetable Oil to fry
1 pound Fresh Green Beans, rinsed and trimmed
- Heat a skillet with cooking oil. Add Cauliflower and spices, cook until slightly tender.
- Add onions and garlic, and cook until tender.
- Add to a blender with milk alternative and blend till smooth.
- Saute mushrooms slightly, about 3-4 minutes.
- Then mix into soup.
- Soak mandolin onions in milk for 5 minutes.
- Mix flour and spices in a dish.
- Heat frying oil in a skillet or prep deep fryer
- Bread onions, and fry for 5 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Blanch beans for 5 minutes.
Bringing it Together!
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Mix soup, beans, and ¼ of the onions into a casserole dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Top with remaining onions and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
You can prep in advance. Just do not top with crispy onions until ready to bake!
Yield: 6 servings