Grilled Romaine Salad
Use the grill for more than just meat this summer by grilling your salad, too. Romaine is hearty and lends itself perfectly to grilling.
1 large head romaine lettuce
1 ear corn
2 slices day-old bread
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing by whisking together the cheese and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add the olive oil, balsamic and black pepper and whisk again until incorporated. Set aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or stove top grill pan to medium-low, about 350⁰F.
- Place the corn on the grill and grill for about 4-5 minutes per side until the kernels start to char. Remove from grill once the whole ear is slightly charred, cut the kernels off the cob and set aside.
- While the corn grills, drizzle the bread with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and place on the grill for about 1-2 minutes per side until just slightly toasted and grill marks appear. Remove from the grill and cut into cubes.
- Cut the head of romaine in half lengthwise keeping the core intact. Wash each half thoroughly, gently shake off any excess water and dry well.
- Drizzle both halves of romaine (cut side) with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Place the lettuce halves on the grill, cut side down and grill for 1-2 minutes per side until the outer leaves just start to wilt and the core has some nice grill marks.
- Plate the grilled romaine on a serving platter, top with the grilled corn kernels, sliced red onion, chopped avocado and grilled croutons.
- Drizzle the dressing on top and serve warm.
Add chopped hard-boiled egg or cooked chicken for a complete meal, or grill some marinated shrimp to top your salad.
Yield: 4 servings