Hispanic Heritage Month Staff Recipe: Briza’s Sopa de Fideo
Recipe by IT Manager Briza Ramirez
8 oz. package of fideos (You can substitute with thin spaghetti, vermicelli noodles, or angel hair pasta broken into 1″ pieces if you cannot find fideos.)
3 very ripe tomatoes (Roma or Plum but any tomato will work)
¼ white onion
1 clove of garlic
1 cube of chicken bouillon or equivalent (you can also use a vegan vegetable cube)
6 cups of water or broth
Salt to taste
For serving: queso fresco, avocado, pickled jalapeños
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Puree the tomatoes, onion, bouillon, 2 cups of water/broth and garlic in the blender. Set aside.
- In a pan, Preheat 3 tbsp. of vegetable oil to medium-hot. Add the noodles and stir to coat with oil. Continue stirring until the fideo pasta has turned golden brown and a few strands have turned deep brown. Browning the noodles adds depth of flavor to the soup.
- When the noodles are browned, add the reserved mixture and add the remaining 4 cups of water/broth and stir.
- Bring the soup to a boil at medium heat and then cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes or until the pasta is soft but not mushy.
- Adjust with salt to taste.
- You can garnish with queso fresco, avocado cubes, and my favorite, pickled jalapeños.
Yield: 4 servings