Corn Salad with Chile and Lime
Avocado and Sugar Snap Pea Salad
Cacio e Pepe Roasted Asparagus
Kwanzaa Inspired Black-Eyed Pea & Edamame Succotash
A delicious hearty side or main dish salad. Serve with soup, green salad and whole wheat rolls to round out the meal.
1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 cup edamame, shelled, frozen
1 cup sweet corn, frozen
1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
2 tablespoons scallions, chopped (about 3 scallions)
1 1/2 tablespoons smooth Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
Pinch cinnamon, ground
1/2 teaspoon chili power
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
8 chicken or turkey sausages (optional)
- Place oil in a large pan and saute onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add black-eyed peas, frozen corn and frozen edamame. Stir until frozen vegetables are thawed. Remove from heat.
- Combine honey, mustard, vinegar, cinnamon, chili powder, and chives, and whisk to make dressing.
- Stir all ingredients together with the dressing.
- Prepare the sausage links according to directions.
- Serve sausages with succotash on the side.
Add additional vegetables, such as mushrooms or carrots, for a more substantial salad. Serve with a hearty soup, green salad, and bread or rolls.
Yield: 4 servings