Minestrone Inspired Pie
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup brown rice (sushi or short grain)
1 can beans (adzuki, pinto, or white)
1/2 red onion
1/4 cup parsley
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
2 cloves minced garlic
- In a small pot add 1/2 cup brown rice and 1 cup water. Let simmer for 40 minutes with the lid on. Make crust while this is cooking!
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add beans, tomatoes, chopped parsley, spices, and rice. Simmer until the tomato juices have been mostly absorbed.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and with a butter knife cut out 8-inch diameter circles. They do not need to be perfect, no matter the shape they will be lovely when we fold and edge with a fork.
- Fill each pie circle with two heaping spoonfuls of filling on the bottom 1/2. Fold the top of the dough over the filling, and push/squeeze the filling in the center slightly, and use a fork to press down and seal the edges well. Repeat with the remainder of the hand pies.
- Transfer the hand pies to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg white and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Bake for 15 minutes, then rotate the baking sheet and bake for another 15 minutes until the hand pies are lightly browned on top and around the edges.
Yield: 4 servings