Rainbow Sugar Cookies with Natural Colorants
To keep a basic healthy diet, eat the rainbow. These cookies do not count!
1 Cup (2 sticks) Butter (room temp)
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tbsp Water
1 Cup Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
3 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
For Color: Beet Root Powder, Turmeric, Spiralina
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla, and water until smooth.
- Then add one egg. Mix thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and knead until smooth.
- Separate into 4 separate bowls.
- Add 1/2 tsp beet root powder to one, add 1/2 tsp spiralina to another, add 1/2 tsp turmeric to the third, and in the last on add 1/2 tsp beet root and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- Roll the green/blue dough into a long tube shape and set aside.
- Roll out the yellow dough with a rolling pin and wrap around the top half of the green dough. Cut off any extra edges.
- Repeat with the orange dough and wrap on top of the yellow. Again with the red/pink dough.
- Wrap your 1/2 circle rolling parchment paper and place in the fridge for an hour.
- After an hour, start to preheat the oven to 350.
- Unwrap your dough and place on a cutting board. Cut into 1/4 in slices. Cut the base off the rainbow of to make the bottoms flat.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for 5 minutes (this will help keep the shape)
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cook on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooking rack.
Yield: 24 servings