Red Wine and Cranberry Poached Pears
2 cups dry red wine
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 lemon zest strip
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
4 medium Bosc pears
- In a saucepan, bring red wine, water, sugar, lemon zest, cinnamon, and peppercorns to a boil
- Add cranberries and reduce heat. Let cook uncovered for 10 minutes
- Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel the pears and add to the pan, in a single layer on their sides.
- Simmer, uncovered, until pears are almost tender, about 10 minutes longer, turning occasionally.
- Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain the pears over a bowl. Save the poaching liquid and cranberries. Remove peppercorns.
- Drizzle pears with reserved poaching liquid. Top with cranberries and crème Fraiche, if desired.
GF V veg DF
Yield: 4 servings