Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowl with Mojo Sauce
Feed your body and soul with this protein rich, vegetable packed, whole grain bowl!
3/4 cup wild rice blend or brown rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and pat dry with a clean kitchen towel
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pat dry with paper towel
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 bunch parsley, roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
juice from 2 limes
1 jalapeno, seeded
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup spinach or kale, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add rice and water to pot. Heat on high until water comes to a boil. Reduce to low, cover, and cook for 30 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed. If the rice is still crunchy, add a few tbsp of water and continue cooking until the rice is done.
- In a medium bowl, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tbsp olive oil and a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Spread evenly on half of one baking sheet. In the same bowl, toss together chickpeas, 1 tbsp olive oil, cumin, turmeric, smoked paprika, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Spread on the other half of the baking sheet with the sweet potatoes. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes, turning once.
- In the same bowl you used for the chickpeas and sweet potatoes, toss chicken thighs with 1 tbsp olive oil and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Transfer to second baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes or until thermometer reads 165 degrees F when inserted in the center of the thickest thigh.
- Prepare the mojo sauce. Combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, lime juice, jalapeno, 1/4 cup olive oil, white wine vinegar, and 1/4 tsp salt in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Add water to thin if necessary. Set aside.
- Assemble your bowls! Place half of the rice in each serving bowl. Top with sweet potatoes, avocado, spinach or kale, chicken thighs, chickpea croutons, and a drizzle of mojo sauce. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 servings