Shephard’s Hand Pie
3 golden potatoes
one can diced tomatoes
1 small back Woodstock's Mixed frozen veggies
1 tsp better than bouillon broth
3 tbsp milk (or milk alternative)
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp tamari
salt and pepper
1 heaping tsp flour
- Preheat oven to 375
- Dice potatoes and place in a steam basket in a small pot. Steam for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
- While potatoes are steaming, heat a medium saucepan. Add a tablespoon of butter and the frozen veggies. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, better than bouillon, tamari, salt, and pepper. Add flour, mix well, and heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Potatoes should be tender by now. Place in a bowl and mash. Add 2 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp of milk. Mix until just combined.
- Roll out dough and cut into a large circle. Fill a small bowl with a little water and set it aside.
- In the center of the circle add potatoes and the filling. Fold the dough in half, leaving the bottom layer of dough showing slightly, press firmly.
- With your fingers, add a small amount of water to the edge where the dough meets. Fold the bottom dough in and use a fork to seal and decorate the edge. Transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Put a few small holes on the top of the pie for ventilation. Brush gently with egg white.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes, rotating the pan 1/2 half through. The crust should be browning slightly.
Yield: 6 servings