Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
This easy and comforting dish is a popular St. Patrick’s Day tradition, but it can also be enjoyed any time of the year.
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large onion, cut in thick vertical wedges
2 cups water
1 tbsp sugar or honey
2 tbsp cider vinegar
8 oz. lager beer (optional, do not use if making gluten free)
3 lbs corned beef brisket
1 tsp mustard seeds
2 bay leaves
8 allspice berries
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 large carrots, sliced
1 lb small red potatoes, quartered
1/2 head green cabbage, chopped
- Scatter the garlic and onions in the bottom of the crockpot. Place beef on top of onions and garlic.
- In a cup, mix together water, beer, sugar, and vinegar. (If you are not using beer, use water in its place.)
- Pour over beef and then sprinkle the mustard seeds, bay leaves, allspice berries and pepper over the beef.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 5 hours. Add the carrots, potatoes and cabbage to the slow cooker and stir, then cover and set to high. Cook for another 2 hours. Remove the beef; once it has cooled, slice across the grain into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Taste the broth and season to taste (the corned beef may have salted it enough).
- To serve, place the sliced beef in the hot cabbage broth and let it warm through. Serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings