Stars & Stripes Sammies
Celebrate the 4th of July with these easy and healthy festive eats!
1 cup strawberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blueberries
Light cream cheese
3 slices of whole wheat bread
- Thinly slice 1/2 cup strawberries. Cut all the raspberries in half. Slice the entire banana.
- Toast three slices of bread. Spread a layer of cream cheese over the top of each toasted slice.
- Form a star shape using five strawberry slices. Put the star in the middle of a toasted bread slice.
- Outline the strawberry star with cut raspberries.
- Fill up the rest of the toasted slice with blueberries.
- Cut off the top of a whole strawberry. Place it in the middle of the star.
- Cut banana slices in half across the middle. Lay the slices in a vertical row on the right-hand side of the second toasted bread slice.
- Make a row of cut raspberries next to the banana slices.
- Make a row of blueberries next to the raspberries.
- Continue making rows of banana slices, raspberries, and blueberries until the toasted slice is filled.
- Make two horizontal lines of three blueberries in the upper left-hand corner of the last toasted bread slice.
- Make three horizontal lines of jam on the toast. Use a knife to make the lines even and thin. Make sure a line runs into the blueberries.
- Place cut raspberries on top of the lines of jam.
Yield: 3 servings