Sticky Garlic Shiitake Mushrooms
This vegetarian dish shines with chewy, sticky mushrooms smothered in a homemade sweet and spicy garlic sauce. Serve over white or brown rice for a meal. Make this gluten free by using tamari instead of soy sauce.
1/4 cup peanut oil
cups shiitake mushrooms, thickly sliced and rinsed with water
1/4 cup plus 1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, minced
2 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (like Sriracha)
For serving: white or brown rice, sesame seeds, chopped green onions
- Add the rinsed shiitake mushrooms to a bowl with 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Toss until the mushrooms are well coated.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok or deep skillet. Once hot, add mushrooms and fry for 4-6 minutes or until they have crispy edges and well cooked centers. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Lower the heat and pour in sesame oil. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the brown sugar and cook another minute.
- Mix 1 tsp of cornstarch with 1/2 tsp of water to form a slurry. Add this mixture along with the soy sauce and rice vinegar to the ginger and garlic. Stir until sauce begins to thicken. Add chili garlic sauce and stir.
- Return mushrooms to the pan with sauce. Stir until they’re hot and covered in sauce. Serve over white or brown rice. Top with plenty of sesame seeds and chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Yield: 2 servings