Zucchini, Tomato, and Chickpeas Pita Sandwich
1 15-oz can or 1 cup (dry) Chickpeas soaked overnight
optional: 1 lb chicken breast (see notes)
2 cups chopped zucchini
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 spring mint
3 springs basil
generous dashes of paprika and cumin
salt and pepper
1/2 a lemon
Crumbled Feta or Chevre chesse
1/3 red onion chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic
- Soak Chickpeas overnight. Or place in a large pot full of water and heat on low until tender (this will take 3-4 hours)
- Heat a large skillet with a dash of olive oil. Add bell peppers and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add onion and zucchini, cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes tossing frequently.
- Dice the herbs. Add herbs and tomatoes to zucchini. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until tomatoes just begin to soften, 4-6 minutes.
- Add chickpeas. Turn heat to low. Warm until pita is ready.
- Place pita in the toaster oven for a minute or so to warm. Alternatively, wrap them in a paper towel and microwave for 15-20 seconds. Cut in half and open each half like a pocket.
- Fill each pocket with cheese and the zucchini mix.
Optional: add Chicken (with or instead of Chickpeas). Cut Chicken into bite-sized pieces. Season in a little olive oil, garlic clove, lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes but no more than a few hours. Heat in the skillet first in step 2, cook until no longer pink in the center. Set aside, follow the remainder of step 2 in a clean skillet. Add chicken back in with (or as a replacement for) the chickpeas.