Think tasty tater tot but with a sneaky amount of veggies added. Your kids new favorite snack, and maybe even yours!
2 medium zucchini, shredded
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 large eggs
1 tsp salt, for water removal
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, gf options available
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Pinch of Cajun seasoning (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place grated zucchini in a colander over the sink, toss with the tsp of salt, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Use a clean dish towel or cheese cloth and strain out the zucchini, removing as much water as possible.
- Transfer the strained zucchini with the shredded carrots, shredded cheese, panko, eggs, and seasonings. Stir together and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Form zucchini mix into tots and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 16-18 minutes, flipping during the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Serve fresh and hot! You can also freeze them in an air-tight container and reheat up in the oven or toaster-oven.
Buy these ingredients through the Davis Food Co-op Curb Side Pick-Up:
Recipe developed by staff member, Rheanna Smith. Rheanna has a background in nutrition and food science, and along with working in many departments here at the Davis Food Co-op she actively runs a food blog containing healthy recipes and nutrition tips. Keep an eye on our Co-op blog to see some of her recipes and give her Instagram account a follow for additional health tips and ideas, @rheannnabanana.
Yield: 6 servings