Potato and Kale Tart
Potatoes are a classic companion to hearty, healthy kale in this savory tart.
1 pie crust*
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound kale
1 1/2 pounds potatoes, unpeeled
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 cup milk or cream
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
* Pie Crust Recipe: https://davisfood.coop/recipes/ultra-flakey-pie-crust/
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Thinly slice potatoes and simmer in heavily salted water 8-10 minutes. Drain and set aside to dry.
- Remove and discard the tough ribs of the kale from the leafy part. Roughly chop the leaves and blanch in heavily salted, boiling water until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Drain. Submerge kale in a bowl of ice cold water. Drain again and squeeze out any excess water and place in a mixing bowl.
- Sauté onions in olive oil over medium-high heat until translucent. Add garlic and sauté one minute longer. Add kale, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In the meantime, roll out the pie crust and lay it/form it into a 9” tart pan.
- Once the kale mixture is cooled, add slightly beaten eggs, milk or cream, and half of the cheese.
- Arrange half of the potatoes in a single layer of concentric circles over the crust. Spread most (about 3/4) of the kale mixture over the potatoes. Arrange the other half of the potatoes over the kale. Sprinkle the rest of the kale mixture and the other half of the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool slightly. Cut into wedges and serve.
This recipe makes for a hearty and comforting main dish without being overly heavy. Serve with a side salad or a light, broth-based soup.
Yield: 8 servings